Problem Solution Essay Topics List
A problem solution essay is one that identifies a specific problem and then provides a plan or a solution for the same. Like other essays, people often find it hard to decide on a topic especially when the instructor asks students to come up with their own topics. Students are always advised to select topics they are well acquainted with or something they are passionate about. Additionally, when writing an essay, it is also necessary to consider choosing a topic which has a viable or practical solution. Topic selection often determines a person’s grade and therefore, students should take their time instead of rushing to write on anything that comes to their minds first.
Here are topic examples to help you write your problem-solution essay:
- Discuss ways which can be used to stop social media bullying.
- How should the US approach the issue of undocumented immigration?
- Discuss ways which can be employed to solve the Syrian refugees’ issue.
- What are some of the steps that universities should take to prevent sexual assault?
- How should the US approach the issue of mass shootings?
- How can the rift between the police and communities be bridged?
- What can be done to stop police brutality?
- What can be done to help sensitize and get people out of abusive relationships?
- How can interpersonal communication be improved in today’s online world?
- How can depression be dealt with especially in teenagers and young adults?
- What can be done to help break down ethnical and cultural barriers?
- Discuss ways that can be used to help deal with bullies and manipulative individuals.
- How can suicidal people be sensitized and be encouraged to seek help and talk about their issues?
- Discuss ways that can be used to help prevent teenage pregnancies.
- What steps need to be taken to help eliminate the issue of homelessness in our communities?
- What should be done to help reduce the number of teenagers dropping out of school?
- Suggest ways that can be adopted to help reduce the social inequality gap.
- What can the government do to help lessen the burden of student loan debts?
- What can the local governments do to help reduce the unemployment rates?
- Even in the 21st century, child labor is still a major problem. What laws should the world enact to help deal with the scourge?
- How should the US and the world approach the issue of terrorism?
- Discuss ways the government and the general public can use to help deal with the issue of worker exploitation.
- Gun violence is indeed on the rise, suggest ways to help deal with this malaise.
- What are some of the ways to help the victims of war?
- What are some of the ways the government can use to make the public more receptive towards former criminals?
- Divorce numbers are indeed on the rise. What can be done to help reduce this percentage?
- Regardless of the increased sensitization, deaths as a result of drunk driving continue to increase. Suggest ways to help prevent the loss of lives as a result of the same.
- Illiteracy levels are indeed high. Suggest ways to help improve literacy levels.
- Human trafficking is indeed a scourge that needs to be eliminated. Discuss ways the world can adopt to help eliminate it.
- How should the world deal with the issue of global warming?
- What should be done to eliminate the problem of online data mining?
- How best can we deal with the cyberbullying problem?
- Should celebrities be protected from the nosy media?
- What should be done to help mitigate the inclusion of extremely graphical images in video games and movies?
- What can be done to make sure every person’s healthcare is guaranteed?
- How can the government and the private help increase the employment rates?
- How can education be made more affordable?
- What should be done to help reduce the dependence of money in politics?
- Discuss ways you think government surveillance is infringing on its people rights. How can this issue be dealt with?
- How can the government protect endangered wildlife?
- What can the government and the private sector do to reduce environmental pollution?
- Racism is indeed a thorn in our community. How can it be eliminated or mitigated?
- How can teachers help children who are victims of family abuse?
- What should be done to help increase the number of students who qualify for college education?
- What should students do to overcome the issue of postponing or procrastinating?
- Discuss ways that can help reduce the lung cancer problem.
- What should the government do to help deal with the issue of youth unemployment?
- Discuss ways we can adopt to help reduce air pollution.
- What can we do to help prevent the imminent ecological collapse?
- How can we reduce the impact of natural disasters?
- Suggest ways which can be employed to help reduce domestic violence cases.
- Discuss ways that should be adopted to help solve the ‘one size fits all’ approach to education.
- Discuss ways employers can use to motivate their employees.
- How can managers solve communication problems within their organizations?
- What should teachers do to help improve or boost creative thinking in students?
- Suggest ways students can adopt to help balance their school work and social life.
- How should companies deal with internet spams that seek to mine data?
- How should employees approach the issue of discrimination within the work place?
- How can families be sensitized to help reduce the increasing number of family breakdowns?
- What can be done to help reduce teenage smoking and alcohol intake?
- What legal procedures should be adopted to help eliminate corruption in the public offices?
- How should the government deal or help reduce the high cost of leaving?
- What should be done to help deal with segregation laws as well as the poor treatment of special needs students?
- What measures can schools adopt to help eliminate exam cheating?
- What should the responsible bodies do to help discourage the use of animals in scientific research?
- What should teachers do to help reduce and eliminate the issue of early pregnancy?
- What laws need to be enacted to help eliminate the issue of texting while driving?
- How can teachers help their students to improve their self-confidence?
- Suggest ways students can use to help improve their focus and concentration.
- How can people reduce anxiety?
- How can big cities reduce the problem of car accidents?
- Discuss ways which can help improve a child’s memory.
- How can society lower alcoholism rates?
- How can we deal with the issue of racial inequality within certain public offices and organizations?
- What are some of the ways that can be adopted to help teenagers avoid succumbing to eating disorders?
- How can teachers and parents make sure that children are appropriately using social media?
- Which programs should be introduced to make it easier to identify highly talented students?
- What can be done within the education curriculum to help make schools more accommodative and impactful towards special needs students?
- How can teachers help make their students more accommodative towards ethnically or culturally different students?
- Suggest ways that can be adopted to help obese people reduce weight?
- What should be done to help reduce heart related diseases?
- What approach should the police take to help reduce the number of criminal gangs?
- What laws need to adopted to help stop hate-speech?
- How can nepotism within our work places be stopped?
- How can teens’ isolation and loneliness be reduced within the school?
- What should be done to help reduce or deal with the problem of overpopulation?
- What laws or reforms to the current laws should cities adopt to help reduce traffic jams?
- How can students be motivated to attend lectures?
- What should teachers to help accommodate slow learners?
- Suggest ways students can adopt to help reduce or eliminate insomnia.
- What should be done to help eliminate identify theft?
- Discuss ways teachers can use to encourage teamwork among students?
- Discuss ways teachers can employ to discourage any cases of racial discrimination?
- Suggest ways employers can employ to help reduce and eliminate work stress among their employers.
- How can we save the ailing environment and reduce deforestation?
- What can be done to help reduce the number of forest fires recorded in a year?
- Discuss ways which can be adopted to help big cities reduce air pollution?
- What can the world do to help protect women and children during war?
- How can organizations eliminate gender-based discrimination?
- What should the world do to eradicate the seasonal issue of hunger?
- What can teachers do to help reduce laziness among students?
LEARN PROBLEM-SOLUTION ESSAY WRITING
A Problem-Solution Essay discusses a problem, and then provides a plan for its solution. We often use this type of essay when we what to persuade others that we have a better idea, or a better plan.
The block method of organization:
- Connecting Information
- Thesis Statement
Paragraph 2: Reasons why the problem is real
Paragraph 3: Solution(s) for the problem: individual levels
Paragraph 4: Solution(s) for the problem: community levels
Paragraph 5: Conclusion
The problem-solution thesis statement can be one sentence or two. Whether it is one or two sentence, it needs to clearly state what the problem is, and then the possible solutions.
Look at the example below. The sentence in blue states the problem, and the sentence in red references to possible solutions.
- Excessive noise from traffic poses health risks to people of all ages. Researchers have developed two possible solutions to protect people and still preserve the flow of traffic.
The first body paragraph describes the problem in such a way that the reader is convinced that the problem needs solving. Then the following paragraphs explain the solution(s) to the problem persuading the readers that the solutions are the best. Optional: You can include with a rebuttal to counter objections.
See Compound and Complex Sentences and Cohesion and Coherence for paragraph development.
The conclusion restates the thesis statements. It should be done in such a way as to emphasize the solutions. The closing statement should leave a call to action – challenging the readers to do something about the problem.
Remember, no new information in the conclusion.
Using a Chart
When you write about a problem and its solutions, you can use a problem-solution chart to develop your ideas. Include why it is a problem and possible solutions for the problem.
- The hook – use an interesting fact, or a quote, or even a rhetorical question
- Connecting information – briefly introduce the problem
- Thesis statement – state the problem, why it’s a problem, refer to a proposed solution for the problem
Body Paragraph: 1
- Write a topic sentence that defines the problem
- Describe what the problem is
- Provide examples and reasons that show why the problem is important
- Show how the problem affects our lives
Body Paragraph: 2
- Write a topic sentence that defines the solution: individual level
- Explain why this solution is good
- Provide steps on how the solution can be implemented
- Show how the solution solves the problem
Body Paragraph: 3
- Write a topic sentence that defines the solution: community level
- Explain why this solution is good
- Provide steps on how the solution can be implemented
- Show how the solution solves the problem
- Restate the thesis statement
- Summarize main points
- Connect solution to our lives
- Final thought
Research Your Topic
- Research your topic at the library or online
- Keep your main idea clear in mind
- Find supporting details in books, magazines, or journals
- Takes notes on key points
- Use 3×5 cards to record facts or quotations you might use
- Make sure to add correct citations for future reference
Planning your Thesis Statement
- Write a draft for your Thesis Statement. Your statement should clearly explain the problem and refer to the solutions. Refer to your freewriting and problem-solution essay chart.
- Have a friend check your Thesis Statement for clarity.
Writers often use cause and effect transitions when explaining problem. Below is a list of some helpful transitions to show how one action can affect another.
|due to||as a result|
|as a result of||therefore|
|in view of||consequently|
|since||as a consequent|
Revising Check List
Use the following questions to check your essay.
- Does the essay have a hook in the introduction? Is it effective?
- Does the first paragraph introduce the main idea (thesis)? Does the thesis state clearly the problem and refer to possible solutions?
- Does the essay use a point-by-point or blocking pattern?
- Identify language that is vague.
- Does the essay use a variety of sentence structures; simple, compound, complex, compound-complex?
- Is the essay organized clearly using transitions to build cohesion?
- Does each paragraph have a clear topic sentence that describes the main idea of the paragraph?
- Do the sentences in each paragraph support the topic sentence of the paragraph?
- Does the conclusion restate the thesis and leave a closing remark?
- Are there any errors in grammar, punctuation, and mechanics, such as comma splices, run-on sentences, and fragments.
Check for the use of Gerunds and Infinitives