International Foundation For Science (IFS) in partnership with Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) as part of the Africa Biosciences Challenge Fund (ABCF) program will hold a hands-on training workshops on scientific research paper writing and science communication (communicating science to non-experts).
One of IFS primary delivery platformsis Workshops (usually together with Partners) for its grantees, applicants and other young scientists in developing countries
IFS is organising a workshop in partnership with BecA-ILRI.
The Training Workshop:
The training workshops will be delivered in a module session, as follows;
- Scientific Research Paper Writing Training Workshop : 27th November – 2nd December 2017
- Science Communication Workshop : 4th – 7th December 2017
A team of highly experienced internationally sourced trainers will conduct the training workshops.
Scientific writing: Selected participants will benefit from intensive, interactive hands-on training during which they will develop their own manuscripts with the goal of submitting to a journal for publication within three to six months of completing the workshop. Participants will be expected to bring along a project report for conversion into a paper, and/or figures and tables and any other illustrative material that has been generated from data analysis. To fully benefit from this workshop, bringing a manuscript at an advanced stage of preparation is highly discouraged.
Science Communication:The science communication training will acquaint scientists with communication approaches, skills and tools that promote public understanding of their research, effective mass and social media engagement and how to contribute towards evidence-based decisions and choices of products from bioscience research.
Eligibility / Applicants requirements:
The workshops are open to NARS researchers with a strong interest in improving their scientific writing and communication skills. More specific applicant requirements include the following:
- Currently conducting agricultural biosciences research within an African NARS.
- The courses have a major focus on applicants from BecA countries (Burundi, Cameroon,
Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia,
Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia,
South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda),
however, eligible applicants from other African countries will also be considered.
- Special preference will be given to ABCF program alumni.
- Must have a research / project report for conversion to a paper, and / or analyzed
research data through figures and tables.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Interested eligible NARS research scientists should apply by completing the online application form.
Call for applications release: 1st September 2017
- Application deadline: 30th September 2017. Late and/or incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
- Communication to applicants: 6th October 2017
There are several fully funded places for this workshops. However, eligible applicants who can fully or partially fund their participation (at least 50%) have an added advantage. The cost of the workshop is approximately $1600, excluding flights and accommodation.
About the partner:
Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub:The BecA-ILRI Hub seeks to strengthen the capacity of African National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) to drive agricultural research and innovation in Africa for Africa. Through strategic partnerships with NARS, the Hub also acts as an accelerator for priority research conducted at the national level. The Hub’s primary delivery mechanism is the Africa Biosciences Challenge Fund (ABCF) Program. A full prospectus can be accessed here.
The workshop will be hosted at the BecA-ILRI Hub, a shared agricultural biosciences platform located at and managed by ILRI in Nairobi, Kenya. The platform increases access to world class bioscience facilities for African and international scientists conducting research on African agricultural challenges. For comprehensive information about the BecA-ILRI Hub visit: http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
Back to top
Scientific Research Paper Writing Workshop - Call for Applications 2016
- Written on Thursday, 15 September 2016 08:22
The Biosciences eastern and central Africa-International Livestock Research Institute (BecA-ILRI) Hub invites applications for participation in a workshop on scientific research paper writing. The training will be held from 13-18November 2016 at the ILRI Campus in Nairobi, Kenya. This workshop is one of the BecA-ILRI Hub’s annual training workshops under the capacity building portfolio, whose objective is to strengthen the capacity African national agricultural research systems (NARS) to drive innovation.
Eligibility / Applicants requirements
The workshop is open to NARS researchers with a keen interest in improving their writing skills. More specific applicant requirements include the following:
- Currently conducting agricultural biosciences research with an African NARS in one of the BecA countries: Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Republic of the Congo (Congo-Brazzaville), Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
- Preference will be given to BecA capacity building program /ABCF alumni.
- Must have a project report for conversion to a paper, and / or analyzed research data through figures and tables.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested eligible scientists / researchers should apply by completing the online application form; http://hpc.ilri.cgiar.org/beca/training/Applications/Writeshop2016/. In addition, the applicant must attach a supporting letter from his/her Head of Institution.
Key dates / Application deadline
- Call for applications release: 14 September 2016
- Application deadline: 10 October 2016
- Information to successful applicants: 13 October 2016
- Applications submitted after the 10 October 2016 deadline and incomplete applications will not be considered
- Training dates: 13-18 November 2016.
There are several fully funded places for this workshop. However, applicants who can fully or partially fund their participation (at least 50%) have an added advantage. The cost of workshop is approximately $1600, excluding flights and accommodation.
For comprehensive information about the BecA-ILRI Hub visit: http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
For a full prospectus on the BecA-ILRI Hub capacity building program visit: http://hub.africabiosciences.org/media-center/publications?download=33:abcf-prospectus&start=20
Download workshop concept note: HERE
We thank our sponsors for making this workshop possible:
Attachments: Scientific Research Paper Writing Workshop2016_Concept Note.pdf[ ]514 Kb
Share this post